Gap analyses by variable or by type of mission or by WIGOS subcomponent
Relevant instruments and their contribution
The sorting column describes how the instruments, by design, have the potential to contribute to certain pre-determined capabilities, assuming nominal operation of space and ground segments. For this particular capability, instrument performance is considered to be driven by:
- the band used for the radar scatterometer (C-band and/or Ku-band);
- the scanning mechanism to provide differential sigma-noughts under different viewing angles;
- the number of polarisations used by MW radiometers.
Sorting criteria and colour code:
- Radar scatterometer operating in C-band (~5.3 GHz) AND/OR Ku-band (~13.3 GHz).
- Polarimetric MW radiometer operating at ~10, ~19 and ~37 GHz.
- Conical scanning MW radiometer with >=2 channels (one 2-pol frequency) on one or more of the frequencies ~7, ~10, ~19 and ~37 GHz.
- Radar altimeter, nadir-pointing OR with large swath.
- System of GNSS receivers embarked on a cluster of dedicated micro-satellites.